Dr. M. Iqbal Choudhary is the Director and Professor of Bioorganic and Natural Product Chemistry at the International Center for Chemical and Biological Sciences (H. E. J. Research Institute of Chemistry and Dr. Panjwani Center for Molecular Medicine and Drug Research), Coordinator General COMSTECH and the TWAS Vice President (Central & South Asia). Prof. Choudhary has, since 1990, been among the world leaders in the field of natural product chemistry, and has made pioneering contributions in the discovery of novel natural products. He has discovered many potent anti-epileptic and anti-leishmanial compounds from indigenous medicinal plants that are under clinical trials. His contributions to reverse bacterial resistance to antibiotics represent seminal contributions in this important field. He leads the developing world's finest research center of natural product chemistry (HEJ Research Institute of Chemistry) since 2002, and has trained hundreds of young researchers, especially women, from across the Afro-Asian region in natural product chemistry. He has established several research centers in Pakistan, and helped to setup research units in Africa, and South and Central Asia. His scientific, and capacity building contributions have been recognized by prestigious national and international awards and honors, and fellowships of several academies of science. Prof. Choudhary has more than 1,200 publications (Citations over 36,600, h index 80) in the fields of organic and bioorganic chemistry, along with 57 international patents (40 US Patents), 68 books, and 40 chapters in books, published by major U.S. and European presses. On the basis of his researches, 88 students have been awarded Ph. D. degrees in various areas of natural product and bioorganic chemistry.
HIGHLIGHTS OF MAJOR ACHIEVEMENTS
AWARDS & HONORS
· TWAS Vice-President (Central & South Asia), 2022
· Mustafa (PBUH) Prize, 2021.
· Coordinator General COMSTECH (2020).
· Member of the “National Task Force on COVID-19”, constituted by The Federal Minister of Science and Technology, Pakistan (2020).
· Member of the “Prime Minister’s Task Force on Science and Technology” (2019).
· Member of the FPCCI Central CSIR Committee on Higher Education, Science and Technology (2020)
· Doctor of Science (D.Sc.), Al-Farabi Kazakh National University, Kazakhstan (2019).
· Declared as the top scientists among 1,650 scientists of Pakistan in all disciplines/ fields of science and technology (year 2010-2013) in term of research productivity (publications and patents) by the Pakistan Council for Science and Technology (Ministry of Science and Technology), Pakistan.
· COMSTECH Award in Chemistry (2010) (in 57 OIC member countries) by the Prime Minister of Pakistan (2010).
· Civil Award Hilal-e-Imtiaz by the President of Pakistan (2007).
· Civil Award Sitara-e-Imtiaz by the President of Pakistan (2001).
· Civil Award Tamgha-i-Imtiaz by the President of Pakistan (1999).
· First Khwarizmi International Award and Prize from the President of Islamic Republic of Iran (2006).
· Economic Cooperation Organization (ECO) Excellence Awards in Education 2006 from the President of Azerbaijan.
· Distinguished National Professor by the Higher Education Commission (2004).
· Prof. Abdussalam (Nobel Laureate) Prize in Chemistry (1989).
· Prof. Riazuddin Siddiqui Gold Medal of Pakistan Academy of Sciences (1992).
· The Third World Academy of Science (Trieste, Italy) Young Scientists Award (1994).
· National Book Foundation Prize for the Best Science Book (1995).
· Fellow, The Academy of Sciences for the Developing World (TWAS) (2003).
· Fellow, Islamic World Academy of Science (2003).
· Fellow, Pakistan Academy of Sciences (2003).
· Fellow, Royal Society of Chemistry (2004).
· Fellow, Chemical Society of Pakistan (2001).
· Fellow, International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC).
· Fellow, World Innovation Foundation (2006).
· Senior Fulbright Fellow, University of California at San Diego, USA (1999).
· Fellow, LEAD-International (Leadership for Environment and Development).